Modifying freezer from mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
I just got a new mini fridge and I want to try and make as much room as possible. That way if I have any future plans, I got the space (and more space to work with is better anyways). I've been searching on here but, didn't come across any fridges that I think had my freezer built in. Here is what I'm working with.
10001305_737353886305472_813449066_n.jpg

The steel pipe that comes out goes to the right and curves back around and into the freezer tray. Anyone experience with these know what to do?

That is the evaporator hanging from the ceiling. It is the cooling element for the fridge. Refrigerant flows through it and removes heat.

Some on hbt have successfully bent it down flat against the rear wall. However, if the tubing is kinked in the process, the fridge will be dead.

Are you looking to make a keezer or a ferm chamber? I used a similar unit into a ferm chamber and built an insulated box around it. I stripped the inside of the door, reinsulated it and repositioned it on the outside of the box. If you search the net you can find a number of videos or write ups of different builds.

I was able to unhook mine and very carefully flip it so that the freezer opened down instead of up. Just be careful not to break or kink the line.

That's looks identical to my converted mini fridge. I was able to snap off the little plastic clips attaching the evaporator to the top. Then I carefully bent it down and flattened it out a bit. Just go slow, and make sure it doesn't start to kink. You can bend the tubing over something round (like a large socket) if you're that worried about it.

What's the easiest way to bend it? I've taken the shelving unit off the door. I can use it as a fermenter now, everything fits (can't use my glass carboy, just my custom fermenter). Would like to move it just in case I do decide to make a kegerator in the future.

That's looks identical to my converted mini fridge. I was able to snap off the little plastic clips attaching the evaporator to the top. Then I carefully bent it down and flattened it out a bit. Just go slow, and make sure it doesn't start to kink. You can bend the tubing over something round (like a large socket) if you're that worried about it.

What's the easiest way to bend it? I've taken the shelving unit off the door. I can use it as a fermenter now, everything fits (can't use my glass carboy, just my custom fermenter). Would like to move it just in case I do decide to make a kegerator in the future.

What rcm said.

I saw the pics. Looks like you used a c clamp and some wood. Basically let gravity do all the work.

I just got a new mini fridge and I want to try and make as much room as possible. That way if I have any future plans, I got the space (and more space to work with is better anyways). I've been searching on here but, didn't come across any fridges that I think had my freezer built in. Here is what I'm working with.
10001305_737353886305472_813449066_n.jpg

The steel pipe that comes out goes to the right and curves back around and into the freezer tray. Anyone experience with these know what to do?

A few pictures how I did it.
http://s238.photobucket.com/user/ClaudiusB/library/Incubator under construction?sort=6&page=1
The tube in the back is a double tube, the small liquid one (capillary) is inside the larger one (gas return).

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back