Modifying Coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OakPond

Reaction score
So I picked up a few nice Igloo coolers that my parents had kicking around and never used. I tested them out to see how well they held temp, and they held it great, I only dropped 3.5 degrees (Started at 155) over 90 mins, and 5 over 2 hours.

Anyway, they don't have a ball valve on them, it's just sort of a screw cover that you can open to let liquid out. I want to modify them, but I don't have any experience with that. Does anyone know what size I should get? Do they all come in one sort of universal size? Or know of any places I could find a good instruction on how to do it? The last thing I want to do is ruin a few good coolers, or do it badly so it leaks and what not.

Why not use a manifold system and syphon up and out, thats what I do. No mods or expense and you still have good cooler !

Bargainfittings is the easiest way to just get everything you'll need.

Piecing it all out at Lowes or HDepot can get spendy and thats just for brass...some of the stupid small pieces being like $4-5 each...its quite a racket.

Thanks, what did you guys do for your inside option/ hose barb for valve options? The price difference between the 2 way and the 3 way isn't enough for me to not just go 3 way.

Back