Mocha stout recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I'm looking to develop a mocha stout recipie that comes off with a the smooth creamy taste that balances the milk with coffee. Like the Mocha frappe Friendly's used to do. I'd like to do it with malts alone, without adding coffee or coffee grounds, to avoid the bitterness. Here's where I am so far;

8 LB 2 row
1 lb black patent (steeped)
1 lb L80
1 LB flaked oats
1 LB lactose
1 oz EKG 60 minutes
1 oz EKG 30 minutes

I'm looking for the L80 to lend a caramel smoothness to even out the harshness of the black patent.

Looks good. I have the Jolly Roger Double Mocha Stout recipe from BYO, have not made yet but it is a decent beer supposedly. Here's the ingredients for 5 gallons at 65% efficiency.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 1 84.6 %
8.0 oz Brown Malt (Simpsons) (150.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.8 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
4.0 oz Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %
4.0 oz Carafa II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.9 %
4.0 oz Crystal 150, 2-Row, (Great Western) (150 Grain 7 1.9 %
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 8 26.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 10.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.3 IBUs
Rogue Pacman Yeast (Wyeast #1764) Yeast 11 -

Do you use MO as your base malt regularly? What do you sense is the taste difference in the final beer? I have been using american 2 row, primarally because its the base listed in most of the recipes I have swiped.

Do you use MO as your base malt regularly? What do you sense is the taste difference in the final beer? I have been using american 2 row, primarally because its the base listed in most of the recipes I have swiped.

No, I don't usually use MO, not even sure if my LHBS carries it. I usually use 2-row also. The MO in the recipe is what BYO got from the actual brewery that made that beer. I have read that MO will add a nice slightly nutty, biscuit flavor to the beer, which does sound like a nice profile for Mocha Stout!

Update: I found a better way to approximate coffee flavor without grounds. Can you say coffee malt? I'm starting to drink it now. Its very good IMHO.

Back