American Barleywine Moby Dick - A take on Palmer's barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novims

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Burton Ale WLP 023
Yeast Starter
A big one!
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 months
Tasting Notes
Now, that\\'s good!
I love american barleywines. I love the sweet robust taste of this style balanced by the firm bitterness of the aromatic hops. But so often I'm I disapointed with oxidised bottles that may have been amazing in their prime time, but are now a malty mess.

When I received Brew your Own, many years ago, I was inspired by Palmer's barleywine and gave it a try. Six years later, after several iterations, I can say that I've managed to tweak the recipe to my taste.

I now present you Moby Dick, a Palmer's inspired barleywine, a rich barley sugar tasting brew, just like I like them. The hefty amount of wheat malt creates a frothy head and gives to this beer it's holy sweetness. It's sweet, but not cloying, with woodsy undertone in which the hops, as aromatic as they seem, tend round up the taste with a piney touch. The nose is malty, just like candy, and the body is rather thick, supported by the alchool, without being overwhelming.

View attachment 379410

Beware though: my efficiency is about 10% lower than with other big beers (maybe due to the wheat malt).

If, unlike me, you fly sparge, please use rice hulls or two or more mashing steps (but I prefer 1 step as it seems to give more stability to the head and more body).

Moby Dick
Efficiency: 74%

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2,0 SRM) Grain 6 64,9 %
6 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1,7 SRM) Grain 7 32,4 %
8,0 oz Special W (115,0 SRM) Grain 8 2,7 %

1,00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15,00 %] - First Wort 90,0 min Hop 9 42,3 IBUs
1,00 oz Nugget [13,30 %] - Boil 45,0 min Hop 10 29,3 IBUs
1,00 oz Amarillo Gold [8,40 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 12 10,0 IBUs
1,00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15,00 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 13 17,8 IBUs
3,00 oz Amarillo Gold [8,40 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 14 12,0 IBUs

1,0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [35,49 ml] Yeast 15 - OR Thames Valley yeast

I do a single mash step @ 150-152 F aiming for an FG around 1,022-1,0

After the first brew, I decided to stay away from the chocolate malt in the original recipe as it was too complex, it that's possible, and distracting me from the taste I was looking for.

Finally, I recommend opting for an english yeast strain, as it makes the malt shine and that's what this beer is all about. I tried San Diego Super, Thames Valley and Burton Ale. While the San Diego Super version was rather bland, the other two tasted really good after proper aging. Three months from brew day to glass seems a minimum: after a month in the keg, it's an alcholic bomb without any sweetness; after three months, this is starting to be what Palmer's is talking about: "A drink to the gods..."

A simple, yet complex recipe.
Hail to the white whale!

Enjoy!

Here's a proper image.
view

Back