Mo Kegs Mo Problems-SOS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBrandon

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a kegging noob and have an urgent problem with my corny keg. I can't get the post on the "Out" side (hexagonal post) to thread onto the keg. It seems like it gets stuck on the gasket for the dip tube and won't reach the threads. How do I overcome this problem? I have about 2.5 gallons of 10.5% Belgian Trippel in the keg, which is purged of O2 and resting in the keezer. I will mail a bottle of this fine beverage (part of the batch is bottled) to the first person who helps me solve this problem

Thanks,

Brandon
Lodi, CA

A few possibilities:

Your poppet is not fully seated in the post, so you can push down harder before attempting to thread it on

You have the wrong size oring on your dip tube and it's too thick

Your dip tube is not fully seated. Check that the bottom of the dip tube is in the little hollow in the bottom of the keg

Be sure the poppet and spring in the post are oriented correctly - like the one in your intact in/gas post. Push down, firmly, compressing the spring to get the post to the threads. Best of luck!

Pictures might help.

How/why did you purge and fill the keg with the post off?

Turns out the post(?) was the problem. I tried a different one and it (miraculously) worked. The only apparent difference between the two was that one's poppet had a small, circular indentation on the top, while the other one does not.

How @Trogdor... Marc1: I spent a solid 30 minutes fighting with the ball lock grey top vs hexatonal/star combos before I figured out that there was a legit reason I couldn't get the ball locks off the posts. In the meantime I managed to purge/pressurize 3 kegs, including the one in question. Why was this ever made to have different ball locks? What kind of sadist designed this? Bah!

Thank you all for your help. Crisis averted, for now.

Back