MO/EKG SMaSH - how does it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squad1Guy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Forum!

I decided to go "back to basics" to refine my process and figured a SMaSH was the way to go. I was looking for something like a British Special Bitter (or thereabouts) and this is what I came up with. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. This is already in the fermenter, so I am looking for more of "what to expect" :)

This is for a 2.25 gallon, full-volume BIAB batch. The IBUs, SRM and % alcohol are from Beersmith, the gravities and volumes are my actual numbers:

3.5 # Marris Otter
0.5 # Toasted Marris Otter (350 degrees for 10 minutes - just for some color)
0.6 oz EKG (60 min)
0.4 oz EKG (5 min)

Mash at 152F for 75 min
2.5 gallons of wort into the bucket. Fermenting with S-04 in temperature controlled chamber at 18.5C (65.3F). I may leave it at this temp the whole time or increase to 68F after 72 hours...not sure which (and hopefully I will get some feedback about that).

I also added 1/4 Campden tablet and 1 tsp. gypsum to my mash water. I am anticipating a fairly balanced ale, hopefully something very "British" with some fruity esters. The numbers match up with the style but I am not sure if the ingredients will give me what I want.

SG: 1.048
30.3 IBUs
7.0 SRM
4.5 % ABV
85.6% mash efficiency
80.4% efficiency

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

I have one similar that was based off the MO/EKG concept, it's an ordinary bitters that was partigyled from a barleywine. I used challenger to bitter at .25oz, then 2oz of EKG at 5 minutes left. It has a wonderful flavor that reminds me of sweet oranges in the finish. The beer came in at 3.5% ABV and has wonderful balanced body as well. To sum up, I think your recipe looks good, if it were me I might add a bit more EKG at the end; however I don't think it's necessary.

For that OG I'd make it more bitter. Usually in the area of 0.7-1.0 IBU / OG. I'd consider 1/8oz dry hop with EKG.

Latest posts

Back