MO EKG or Fuggle SMaSH Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
Am making up some buckets of grain for future brews and remember seeing several sigs with people who have done an MO SMaSH with EKG or Fuggle. I have the MO and the hops and thought this would be a good way of using them.
anyone who has brewed this how did it turn out? also any suggestions for the hop schedule? was possibly thinking of doing 2.5 of each to learn the differences in the hops not sure yet so any info would be great. Thanks
Ben

I just started drinking a MO Fuggles SMaSH I did a few weeks ago and it is awesome. Fuggles goes very well with MO. I posted the recipe in the database (MOther Fuggles) and you can take a look for more info on what I think of the character of the beer. Best of luck to you. :mug:

When I did my MO/Fuggles SMaSH I did FWH + hop bursting to get something rather unusual. FWH to get about 30% of your desired final IBUs and then add the other 70% of the IBUs at 5 minutes. You'll get TONS of raw hop oil in the final beer compared to just doing the typical 60/15/1 additions so you'll have much more floral aroma and taste. After it sat in bottles for 6 months and blended together it got rave reviews even from BMC-swilling friends. I fermented it with Notty.

I did one a couple weeks ago that was a MO/Whitbread Goldings Variety SMaSH. Here is my recipe (substitute in Fuggles or EKG for the hops):

MO/WGV SMaSH Bitter
Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.75 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
0.50 oz Whitbread Golding Variety (WGV) [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
0.50 oz Whitbread Golding Variety (WGV) [6.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
1.00 oz Whitbread Golding Variety (WGV) [6.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.10 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.040 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.03 %
Bitterness: 33.1 IBU
Est Color: 3.9 SRM

I just started drinking a MO Fuggles SMaSH I did a few weeks ago and it is awesome. Fuggles goes very well with MO. I posted the recipe in the database (MOther Fuggles) and you can take a look for more info on what I think of the character of the beer. Best of luck to you. :mug:

was thinking similar to yours
10lb MO 65% efficiency last batch so basing recipe on this but need to fine tune it will hopefully get 70%+ this batch
1 oz Fuggle @ 60 min depending on efficiency can increase
1 oz @ 30
.5oz @ 5 or 10
I like less IBU so I'm hoping this works comes in in the low 30 range
any thoughts on yeast? was going to use S-04 but also have Notty and Windsor

In addition to Mo/Fuggle Smash having a great taste, once you 'know' your beer, you can run some experiments and try out tricks to see how it changes. How does Hop Bursting change the profile? How does changing the hop addition times, dry hopping, wet hopping, first wort additions. You can also keep everything 'standard' and try different yeasts. It's a great platform to try something you haven't done before, get a great tasting beer, and learn how 'tricks' can influence a beer. I'm a big fan of SMASH beers and of MO/Fuggle.

In addition to Mo/Fuggle Smash having a great taste, once you 'know' your beer, you can run some experiments and try out tricks to see how it changes. How does Hop Bursting change the profile? How does changing the hop addition times, dry hopping, wet hopping, first wort additions. You can also keep everything 'standard' and try different yeasts. It's a great platform to try something you haven't done before, get a great tasting beer, and learn how 'tricks' can influence a beer. I'm a big fan of SMASH beers and of MO/Fuggle.

exactly what I am hoping to do. find a really good beer and be able to change it up to learn how each step or change affects the process glad to hear you think MO/fuggle is a good combination for this. Thanks

Back