MO/Amarillo SMaSH Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polarbearbrewing

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Wanting to do my first SMaSH recipe soon and have heard great things about the MO and Amarillo combo. Here's a recipe I came up with please let me know what you think as this is the first one I've tried to come up with on my own! This will be using the BIAB method
:mug:

Boil Volume: 7gal
Batch Volume: 5.5gal
Mash: 60min at 152 no sparge
Est OG: 1.063
Est FG: 1.018
ABV: 5.94%
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%
IBU: 56.23
SRM: 6.66

Fermentables:
13lb MO
Hop Additions (Amarillo 8.6%):
1.5oz FWH
0.75oz 60 min
0.25oz 15 min
0.5oz FO
Yeast: Safale S-04

I'm shooting for an older style english brew with a higher OG than the average SMaSH. I really want it to have a nice body and have the MO prominent while being balanced by the hops. I'll probably primary for 3 weeks at 63-66 degrees and bottle condition to ~1.7 volumes.
I'm open to any suggestions as I'm a noob to recipe development

I did one like that recently and I found that S-04 left a funky taste that made this beer weird. I would use a clean American Ale yeast like 1056.

I think it looks great. 04 would be cool if you ferment it on the cool side. Failing that, notty would work well. I can taste it already and you didnt even brew it yet!

Back