MM2 powered by garage door opener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstevenund

Reaction score
Instead of reviving my old thread, I'll start a new one. Old Thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=401345

Well, I purchased the mill way back in 2011. From the start, I had the idea of the garage door opener. There always seemed to be something getting between me and purchasing a motor to complete the project. Had a cross country move happen in 2013 and all my equipment went into storage for a time.

As in the original thread, I came across a screw drive garage door opener, reverse engineered it, and found out it was way too fast to even bother gearing down. 2015 I came across a broken Craftsman chain drive opener (chain sprocket sheered off due to broken bushing). It ended up being perfect speed off the worm gear, so I hatched a plan to finally get it up and running. Below pictures of the nearly final product.

TL: DR: Bought a MM2 in 2011, didn't have a plan for long time. 6 years later, have a working mill.

Images Below:
1) Front view. I have a small gap between the top of the bucket and the mill. Sides and top are OSB, internal structure is 2x2 or 1x2.

2) Back View. As you can see, just a garage door unit here. The cover still needs to go on. Original circuit board and limit switches have been removed. The motor is turned on and off through a relay board on the upper left of the motor assembly (white patch is the double stick tape, board fell down).

3) Lovejoy connection. I cleaned up the end where the sprocket should be and replaced it with a lovejoy connection to the mill.

4) Motor top. Relay board has the light. An old cell phone adapter wired into the power in for the low voltage relays and switches.

So far, So good. This took way too long to start, let alone finish. Few minor things to finish up like a fan to keep the motor cooler, and maybe an RPM sensor (kept the original optical sensor on the gear assembly).

I plan on milling my first batch and brewing on Sunday.

front.jpg

Full.jpg

Lovejoy.jpg

motor top.jpg

Lol, I was just asked that tonight at my homebrew club meeting. Not in current configuration. I could put the circuit board back in and allow for remote operation, but then you have a delay for the buttons. Safety 3rd, remember.

I like it! The guts of that machine look almost identical to the one I had to replace the sprocket, shaft bushing and drive gear on last week. Mill drive didn't occur to me - probably 'cuz I was too PO'd about having to fix the damned opener all because the stupid bushing failed.

I bet you could put the circuit board with the limit switches back in but leave out that little plastic gear and retainer clip at the end of the drive shaft (so the limit switch mechanism won't travel) and the remote would work. For whatever that'd be worth ;)

Cheers!

Nice build! I considered doing this too. Several questions:

What is the output RPM?
How did it work? I was afraid the plastic gears wouldn't cut it.
Were you able to rework and use the cover so clothes, hair, fingers, etc. stay out of the gears?
Did the motor get super hot? These aren't rated for continuous use.
Did you wire it to preserve the ability to reverse the motor? Might be useful for jams.

Thanks!

@adamreef - It worked really well. i didn't have a problem with the plastic gears on the first batch, but that is something i will keep an eye on. I don't recall what the actual RPM is but I'll measure that once I get it re-assembled (minor adjustments after first run). The original cover will fit just fine, but I still need something to cover the lovejoy/mill shaft. During my initial testing throwing a few handfuls of grain in at a time and mostly free-running, I did start to smell the windings after a bit, but did not have any issue with 12lbs of grain straight (I don't recall if I double crushed or not this time) on it's inaugural batch after I installed the fan. Yes, I do have a 2 switches, on/off and fwd/rev. They are 5V switches running to the relay board with the red LED in the last picture. I put a plug and 5V cell phone charger inside to power the relay board (both in the last picture).

I'll post some better pictures soon. The lighting in the basement is pretty bad.

If you guys want to see some better pictures, check out the projects article in the November 2017 issue of BYO. I was contacted by BYO to publish the project.

Several batches later and the I'm still very happy with the mill.

Back