MLT Using Insulated 1/2 Barrel Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfieBrew

Reaction score

I just cut the the top of my insulated keg using a simple jig with inspiration from the following thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cutting-top-off-sanke-keg-using-angle-grinder-88907/

1657-keg-mlt.jpg

What a huge pain in the ass :mad: . After burning through 4 cutting discs and part of a grinding wheel, I successfully cut the hole, however, I am looking for some feedback. I've been hunting around the internet for pictures of a converted insulated keg MLT but haven't been able to find any pictures. The insulation on this keg is a very hard rubber and I think it will hold a temperature fairly well but I am wondering about a lid. Does anyone think the exposed 1/2" rim of rubber insulation would be a sanitation problem if I just placed a lit directly on top? Or... Would it be a lot better to try to strip about 1" of rubber from around the hole so the lid can rest on the stainless steel? Any thoughts? I know I still need to clean the hell out of it!

It doesn't need to be "sanitized", only "clean". Your boil will kill off anything. If you don't think you can get it clean, well then there is your answer...

1658-keg-side.jpg

This is the side cut of the insulating layer on top of the SS. This would be the rim that would be exposed on the inside of the mash tun if I were to place a lid on the top.

It doesn't need to be "sanitized", only "clean". Your boil will kill off anything. If you don't think you can get it clean, well then there is your answer...

The SS is perfectly clean. I was referring to the black rim above...

I just cut the the top of my insulated keg using a simple jig with inspiration from the following thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cutting-top-off-sanke-keg-using-angle-grinder-88907/

1657-keg-mlt.jpg

What a huge pain in the ass :mad: . After burning through 4 cutting discs and part of a grinding wheel, I successfully cut the hole, however, I am looking for some feedback. I've been hunting around the internet for pictures of a converted insulated keg MLT but haven't been able to find any pictures. The insulation on this keg is a very hard rubber and I think it will hold a temperature fairly well but I am wondering about a lid. Does anyone think the exposed 1/2" rim of rubber insulation would be a sanitation problem if I just placed a lit directly on top? Or... Would it be a lot better to try to strip about 1" of rubber from around the hole so the lid can rest on the stainless steel? Any thoughts? I know I still need to clean the hell out of it!

that many cutting disks? i usually use about 1/2 of 1. anyway, go with your idea. it should work

You may want to add some reflectix or some other type of flexible insulation to the outside of the keg.

Yes the rubber will have some insulating properties, but if you plan on that thing holding temps steady to within a degree or 2 your going to have to beef up the insulation.

Unless your planning on using a recirculation system or direct heating in the MT, then the rubber itself would be okay (more insulation would be more efficient obviously).

Back