MLT question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J311gonzo

Reaction score
So I have a 10 gallon cooler w a false bottom... And when I sparge particles get caught in my ball lock, causing a clog. I then have to open and close the velvr to get it running again. So I but a "filter" in front of my drain and it has since helped... Is this ok or will this hurt efficency some how?

I guess the real question is that if you have a false bottom, why are you getting so many particles in your valve so much that it gets plugged? Your false bottom is not doing it's job. Is it maybe floating up a bit allowing grains to pour down the sides?

its not moving at all. I don't know, I can't figure it out. maybe the company who built it dilled the holes to big. honestly i bought the only one that my LHBS had, and as long as I have the screen there it works fine.

Hmmm... weird. Might want to ask your LHBS about it and exchange it / return if at all possible. There should be no need for you to create your own screen below a false bottom.

Back