MLT mounted thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
So Santa brought me a bunch of AG equipment and I plan on trying out my first AG batch on Saturday. I've got a 5 gallon picnic cooler for my mash/lauter tun, and I've seen pics of those with thermometers mounted to them (the sharp 'business end' inside with the circular gauge visible on the outside). If i do this, will it require any sort of sealant or washer? Could I just drill a small hole in the cooler and ram it in there? For experienced AGers, is it worth it to have this so you don't have to take the lid off to take the temp?

It's misleading to take a temp reading in a fixed location in a mash, at least in my experience. I open the lid about 5 minutes after doughing in, give it one more stir and verify the temp in a couple spots. If it's looking good I close the lid and come back in 60 minutes.

I agree with Bobby. And if you need to stir your mash for any of a number of reasons that temp. probe is going to be in the way.

Back