MLT Manifold Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryalan

Reaction score
I'm going to make a manifold for my 14 gallon cooler MLT using copper pipe. Should I be using 1/2 inch pipe or would a different size be better?

Thanks!

--
Jerry

1/2 inch is good, that's what I'm using. Any smaller and I imagine it could get clogged, I can't think of a reason why you'd want it bigger unless yours mash tun was a lot bigger.
Palmers 'How to Brew' is a good resource for help on designing the manifold.
http://www.howtobrew.com/

+1 on how to brew by palmer (it is in an appendix). I used 1/2" copper for mine in a 15.5 gal MLT (keggle) and it works fine. You could use CPVC or different size of copper if you have it on hand, I happened to have 1/2" copper and fittings on hand so I made mine out of copper.

A+ on Palmer, you want to read that section on how to build a "Balanced" system. John does a great job of describing that in his book.

OK, thanks for the replies. I'll look more into Palmers book for design and will plan to use 1/2 for the pipe.

--
Jerry

Back