MLT Manifold outlet too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
So I just converted my cooler yesterday. Just gotta cut the slits. Its a 40 qt rectangular. My concern is that the drain hole seems to be kind of high. Wondering if I will have a problem with too much goodness left in the bottom. Here are some pics. The bottom of the outlet pipe seems to be 5/8 of an inch off the bottom. (I did not measure from the bottom of deeper channel near drain, since its only a 3-4 in long and 1 inch wide)

The manifold is at its highest point there, and slopes down to the opposite side of cooler where it touches the floor of cooler.

As a side question - I just noticed a crack in the bottom of the cooler that will leak. Can I use food grade silicone to seal it up?

By the way...the replacement bottom seal of a Fluidmaster refill valve for a toilet works great as a seal for your bulkhead! I got it over a 3/4 thread(which is actually 1" wide. It was a stretch and the seal seems it would work for smaller threads too, maybe as low as 1/2".

Here are some pics:
DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

If you can:

Extend the pipe coming from the valve...
Reposition the t-joint and use an elbow...

You can fashion it so the copper sits flush on the bottom.

Worse case is to leave it as is. You'll leave some additional liquid, but by the time you get to that point, that liquid will be pretty weak.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

If you can:

Extend the pipe coming from the valve...
Reposition the t-joint and use an elbow...

You can fashion it so the copper sits flush on the bottom.

Worse case is to leave it as is. You'll leave some additional liquid, but by the time you get to that point, that liquid will be pretty weak.

View attachment 5955

Not sure how this would help. When liquid gets below the outlet pipe, it is not going to defy gravity and flow from the manifold upwards to the outlet pipe.

I suppose I would be fine if I put some slots on the little 1 inch pieces between the elbows and T's near the rail closest to the outlet, then tilt the MLT at the end of draining?

Not sure how this would help. When liquid gets below the outlet pipe, it is not going to defy gravity and flow from the manifold upwards to the outlet pipe.

Actually with a hose on the outlet the wort will defy gravity and flow uphill. Suction is an amazing science, both in making beer and other activities........

With a hose attached to the spigot, you'll drain down to the level of the highest air hole in your manifold, either a hole you drill or a leaking joint where you slipped the pipes together. Once air gets in it breaks the siphon.

Linc

I suppose I would be fine if I put some slots on the little 1 inch pieces between the elbows and T's near the rail closest to the outlet, then tilt the MLT at the end of draining?

If you have a hose attached to the outlet side, the siphon action will draw down to the top of the openings in the manifold. :)

If you have a hose attached to the outlet side, the siphon action will draw down to the top of the openings in the manifold. :)

Yes...forgot the siphon action....beautiful thing. Well I think I can easily modify to pull off the center of the middle tube and have the manifold sit squarely on the bottom.

As for my other question....can I use food grade silicone to patch a crack in the bottom of the cooler?

There's more than gravity at work here.

The suction of the hose will continue to pull the liquid until you start pulling air.

But I'm kinda new at this so I could be wrong... :cross:

I think you have the same cooler as me... I used a 45 degree elbow to meet the valve opening. Twist your t-fitting 45 degrees, then put the elbow on, and then you should meet your valve pretty closely. My manifold is flush with the bottom at that point.

And it creates a hell of a siphon. It only leaves 40 oz of liquid in the cooler.

inside_connected.jpg

Back