MLT/HLT Combo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jabumbo

Reaction score
Looking at setting up a sort of 3-tier system, but was curious to know if combining the HLT and MLT was something that has been tried and tested before.

I have a chest cooler about to be converted. Would it be wise to add the parts for the MLT and put some sort of electric heating element inside the same container?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at setting up a sort of 3-tier system, but was curious to know if combining the HLT and MLT was something that has been tried and tested before.

I have a chest cooler about to be converted. Would it be wise to add the parts for the MLT and put some sort of electric heating element inside the same container?
I'd be concerned about a couple of things- one would be simply damaging the element during the mash. I stir very well, and you'd want to stir well around and above and below the element. The next concern I have would do with sparging. When you sparge, the water has been stored in the HLT. Where would you get the sparge water from?

I've seen some two-vessel systems (I think Brutus would be a good one to look at) and they have some combined vessels. I'm only familiar with the traditional three vessel system.