MLT cooler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
So, I am ready to take the AG plunge and am building my MLT. It is just a 5 gal round cooler and I have a SS false bottom that fits in tight. I believe that the cooler is something like 1/8 th of an inch narrower at the bottom than the top, as my false bottom slides into the top nicely and then kinda wedges into the bottom. I am wondering if this is okay as it would scratch the sides going in and out, or should I wedge it in there and call it good? I am thinking that I want to be able to remove it for cleaning, etc. I reckon that scratches are bad and I've got two in there now as I tried the dry fit very carefully and still scratched it a little. Is there a material I can coat/cover the edge that won't hurt my wort<---(hee, hee, sorry...couldn't resist). Like if I could find a small coffee stir straw that was 35 inches long and slit it down one side, wrap it around the perimeter of my FB and adhere it somehow, or even a tiny silicone bead, that would do it.
Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Remember any wort coming out of the MLT will be sterilized by boiling. Small scratches are no problem at this point. You just want to remove any large particles to prevent mold and mildew from growing when in storage.
Craig

Back