Mixing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's absolutely no reason not to mix strains - mixed strains were the norm until the Carlsberg revolution of the late 19th century, and even today some British family brewers maintain mixed strains.

However, one of the main reasons to do it is to combine a high attenuation strain with a flocculating strain - the two traits tend not to go together, but you get the best of both when you mix them. In this particular case T-58 and S-33 are so similar that you don't really get that benefit, they're pretty similar in attenuation and (poor) flocculation. T-58 is a close cousin of S-33, but with the "Belgiany" POF+ gene complex.

If you tell us what you are trying to achieve, then we might be able to suggest a better way of going about it.

I've done it a few times with good success. I harvested the dregs of a 6-pack of Oberon last summer and used some Wyeast 3068 slurry for a summer wheat I made. I liked it. More recently, I used some harvested 3944 from a Blue Moon clone and harvested Bry-97 from a Smash Pale Ale for a white IPA I just bottled yesterday. I liked the sample. So, as long as the strains "work together" I see no reason not to give it a try. It's all about experimenting and having fun.

To be direct with why I asked. The research I did said the T-58 is more true to the belgium tripel with the spicy flavors. I had both (T-58 and S-33) and grabbed the wrong one--didn't realize it until about 10 minutes after I put S-33 in there.

There are reasons to do it and reasons not to do it.

Pro's:
  • You'll create new flavour profiles
  • You'll lean through experimentation
  • It's fun to try (which is perhaps the most important argument!)
Con's:
  • Unpredictable results. The way different yeast strains interact can be quite surprising. Blending a yeast with a phenolic flavor profile with one that has an estery flavor profile will not necessarily get you a beer flavor with both these flavours in the same ratio that you blended the yeast at.
  • Unrepeatable results. When you blend yeasts, these yeasts begin to compete with each other, which means that small variations in viability (which in turn are largely a factor of yeast age and transport/storage conditions) have a large effect on the final makeup of your yeast population. The same goes for small variations in wort aeration/oxygenation, pitching/fermentation temperature and wort composition. Pitching a 50/50 blend of yeast A and B may result in 25% A and 75% B or 60%A and 30% B or anything else, depending on any of the factors that have an effect on yeast growth.
  • You can't crop and reuse the yeast. Variations due to any of the above factors get progressively out of hand with each generation, so reusing a blend that worked well in your first batch is likely to perform radically different in your second batch.
That said, there's no rule in any book that says you shouldn't try it! As long as you enjoy what you're doing and the beer is good to drink, don't let anyone tell you that you've done something wrong!

Never brewed a Belgian Tripel before so I have no clue if this looks right. This is only my 3rd homebrew--all have been LME. The first two had extremely nice Krausen forming on the top by day 3. This picture was taken as I finished day 4 of fermentation. The airlock is active-ish (1 bubble every 10 seconds) so I think something is happening.

Anything to worry about?

(edit: Fermentation temp is at 64F)

Attachments

• 20180628_203138.jpg
    20180628_203138.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I’m away from my notes but from memory T-58 is pretty “lively“ in the early stages of fermentation, keep an eye on it in case it makes a break for it...

Back