Mixing yeast strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarmikeb

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American brown ale beer. My starting gravity is going to be much higher than expected (1.072). I have a 1600 yeast starter made with wyeast London ale 1028 that's been going for about 16 hours. I don't think this pitch rate wi be high enough. I have a pack of dry S05. Is it ok to pitch that as well and mix the yeast strains? Or should I get some more 1028? Or say **** it and let it ride with the starter I have?

1.6L should be fine if thats what you meant by "1600 yeast starter." I would just stick with it.

Yep. It's a 1600ml starter. I pitched it and rolled the dice. I think it'll be fine. Guess I need to discuss the possibility of making my mill settings a but coarser? Beer smith gave me an expected starting gravity of 1.065. I'm more like 1.074. No stuck sparge or anything odd. Just a strong beer.

If you don't have sparging issues and you are consistently high on OG with the correct volumes, than I would adjust the recipes for slightly higher efficiency rather than trying to deliberately get worse efficiency.

Back