Quantcast

Mixing yeast strains

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

guitarmikeb

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American brown ale beer. My starting gravity is going to be much higher than expected (1.072). I have a 1600 yeast starter made with wyeast London ale 1028 that's been going for about 16 hours. I don't think this pitch rate wi be high enough. I have a pack of dry S05. Is it ok to pitch that as well and mix the yeast strains? Or should I get some more 1028? Or say **** it and let it ride with the starter I have?

Beezer94

Reaction score
1.6L should be fine if thats what you meant by "1600 yeast starter." I would just stick with it.

OP
G

guitarmikeb

Reaction score
Yep. It's a 1600ml starter. I pitched it and rolled the dice. I think it'll be fine. Guess I need to discuss the possibility of making my mill settings a but coarser? Beer smith gave me an expected starting gravity of 1.065. I'm more like 1.074. No stuck sparge or anything odd. Just a strong beer.

Beezer94

Reaction score
If you don't have sparging issues and you are consistently high on OG with the correct volumes, than I would adjust the recipes for slightly higher efficiency rather than trying to deliberately get worse efficiency.