Mixing yeast strains (001 + Belgian?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpaulbarrett

Reaction score
My local homebrew supply shop scoffed at me when I mentioned wanting to try mixing yeast strains. Is this really so crazy? I tried Victory's Moving Parts #3 IPA, which was brewed with "Belgian yeast" and tasted pretty good. I'd also like to try my go-to single-hop pale recipe with a little saison kick, or maybe a Belgian golden. Is it really as simple as pitching two vials and letting it sit?

Thanks.

Yes, it really is as easy as pitching two vials of yeast, and often, using two different yeasts can add a really nice complexity to the beer. I would rethink your combination of yeasts though. WLP001 is known for its clean and neutral character, so it will probably weaken the spicy Belgian character. If you want a more tame/delicate Belgian yeast, try the Wyeast Ardennes strain, but if you're looking for complexity, consider combining one of the Trappist strains like WLP500 with a saison or Hefeweizen strain. That's when things get really exciting.

Back