mixing US-05 and Mangrove Jack M44

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
I wanted to try out the Mangrove Jack M44 American Ale yeast. I brewed up a IPA yesterday (1.073 OG). At the time I wasn't thinking that 2 packets would be a good idea. I don't have another packet of M44 but have s-05.

I've read M-44 can take time to get going, s-05 always gets going within 12 hours for me. But i dont want the s-05 to dominate.

It's been about 15 hours and no activity yet, should I -
1. wait until i see signs of fermentation before pitching s-05
2. pitch s-05 right away
3. dont pitch it at all, let m44 do it thing

I decided to pitch the s-05 packet last night about 24 hours in. i figure the lag time of the s-05 added to the 24 hours already on the m44 should be about right.
6 hours later and there was some activity and this morning about an inch of krausen, hopefully m44 has joined the party :mug:

This is something I've been kind of curious about.
I made a honey ale last year in which I pitched us-04 & us-05 in the same batch. The beer turned out amazing but becUse of my lack of experience its hard for me to say what the effect of using two yeasts is.
I'd be curious to see how this worked for you.

it was very boozey and malt forward. i think only pitching 1 packet caused the stressed yeast to throw a few esters and booziness. and my grain bill was 95% maris otter and 5% sugar. (ive found maris otter on its own is too much for me). i need to split it with US 2-row or pilsner to get a lighter malt profile.
i think pitching 2 from the getgo would have been a better choice.

Back