Mixing Safale US 05 and S 04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
S 04 flocculates really well. I'm worried that it will drop out too early in a heavier (OG: 1.085-1.095) beer and leave me with an unfinished fermentation.

I'm thinking about mixing in maybe 1/4 of US 05 to avoid that.

Have you tried this, or have anything to say about it?

A few weeks ago, I watched a presentation by one of the Lallemand technical sales reps, and he talked a bit about blending yeasts to get the best of both worlds. I think he recommended mixing Nottingham with something (I forget what) to improve flocculation. I'd say give it a shot. The S-04 might help flock out the US-05, with the US-05 in return helping to improve attenuation, as you said.

you-cant-mix-matter-and-antimatter-cold.jpg

Couldn't resist, I have a warped sense of humor. Give it a go, and definitely report back on the results. đź‘Ť

S 04 flocculates really well. I'm worried that it will drop out too early in a heavier (OG: 1.085-1.095) beer and leave me with an unfinished fermentation. I'm thinking about mixing in maybe 1/4 of US 05 to avoid that. Have you tried this, or have anything to say about it?

fwiw, I have kept a 1.107 OG imperial chocolate honey stout on tap for the last 14 years, always brewed with S04, typical FGs of 1.023-025, for an ~11% ABV and ~77% apparent attenuation. I do use two packs per each 5.5 gallons, run the yeast at 67°F. One of my most reliable fermentations, actually, I can't see improving on it by splitting the strains with US-05.

Cheers!

Back