Mixing pilsen and pale ale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellrbrewr

Reaction score
Would there be a significant flavor difference between using 100% pale malt vs. using 50/50 pilsen/pale ale malt, or would the profiles of each type come out pretty clearly? I usually buy in bulk and use all 3, but I'm trying to consolidate space (running out of it) and I'm wondering if just stocking pilsen and pale ale is going to be enough. Has anyone ever brewed 2 batches side by side this way to see how close they come out?

It makes a noticeable difference at 50/50. Incidentally, my wife prefers the beers made with the blend over those made with straight pilsner malt.

I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to do though. You currently stock three base grains: pale, pilsner, other? And you're wondering if two, pale and pils, would be sufficient? If this is what you mean, I would say I think you could get by with just two. I've been stocking pils, US 2-row, and UK 2-row, and have recently decided to narrow it down to just US Pale 2-row and Pils. For what I like to brew, that would not limit me too much, would be cheaper, and would allow faster turnover of bulk grain.

Back