Mixing Crystal malts to get different Lovibond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpookyAlmond

Reaction score
Just curious. If a recipe calls for a crystal 30L, and I have crystal 10L and crystal 60L, can I use a mixture of the two to get to around 30L? It makes sense in my head, but I don't know if they work that way. Thoughts?

Just curious. If a recipe calls for a crystal 30L, and I have crystal 10L and crystal 60L, can I use a mixture of the two to get to around 30L? It makes sense in my head, but I don't know if they work that way. Thoughts?

It doesn't really work that way - they have different flavor profiles. Using a blend of 10L and 60L will not give you the same flavor as 30L.

The same flavor? No. Similar? Yes. The closer in number your additions are the recipe, you closer the taste will be. eg. 20L and 40L will be a lot closer to 30L than anything with 120L.

If you are going to try this, the proper ratio is 75% 20L to 25% 60L to get a 30L color contribution.

Back