Mixing Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I brew mostly single hop beers or perhaps use a bittering hop and an aroma / flavor hop thus far, and avoid complex hop bills. I'm definitely a noobe, having only done 27 brews, and only having been brewing since February this year.

I often have as many as 4 or 5 drinkable brews available at one time, and frequently crack two at the same time, and mix in various proportions to see how the hops pair. When I find a pair I like, I use them together in a brew.

Anybody else do this?

H.W.

Fairly often. I get tired of some beers after a while. I sometimes brew just to sample the style and I find that when I get tired of one thing (like the scottish /70 or English Mild) I sometimes mix it up with a bit of a hoppy beer just to change it up.

At a nearby brewpub the bartender talked me into mixing their raspberry wheat with their peanut butter porter to make a PB&J. It was actually not too bad.

I have two taps and, when they are both actively pouring, I almost always mix the two beers at least once. Some are good, some are just okay. It's definitely fun to do though.

Cheers.

Pretty sure that Newcastle blends two separate brews to get their brown ale.

I wonder why. It seems that if you can get it blending two beers, you can get it in a single beer by blending ingredients. I blend to get a taste of how the hops work together. For example I'm drinking a beer with Sorachi Ace (predominate), and blending in another with Cascade........ In the right proportions the combination works ok.

H.W.

I wonder why. It seems that if you can get it blending two beers, you can get it in a single beer by blending ingredients. I blend to get a taste of how the hops work together. For example I'm drinking a beer with Sorachi Ace (predominate), and blending in another with Cascade........ In the right proportions the combination works ok.

I don't disagree. Here is where I read it:

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/59-5-british-ale-clone-recipes

Back