Mixing beer brewing and wine making equipment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilGnome6

Reaction score
Mrs. Gnome would like to make some wine and since I have I already have all my brewing equipment, I'm wondering if it's OK to use a lot of the same gear.

I retired my old Ale Pail (I switched to Better Bottles for primaries). Would it be OK to use this for wine or should I pick up a new one for primary? How about using the Better Bottles for the occasional batch of wine or is it better to get a dedicated one?

How about using the same bungs, airlocks, auto-siphon, tubing and hydrometer?

I do both and have not had problems sharing equipment back and forth (buckets, siphons, racking canes, bubblers, etc.). I typically clean/sanitize until there is no smell (plus some) before storage and sanitize before use and have not had issues.

I agree with bentonre. I use the same equipment for both just wash it out really well between uses but you should be doing that anyway. I've not made any crazy-hoppy beers or anything that I couldn't wash the flavors/colors out of the plastic bucket primary. YMMV.

If you purchase Juice buckets to make wine, you end up with a new primary. The bucket the juice comes in is typically a 6 1/2 gallon food grade bucket with a breather valve. remove the rubber valve, drill out the opening to fit a rubber grommet for an airlock.

I now have 9 primaries by doing just that, but never have more than 4 going at one time.

As mentioned earlier by others, you can use the primary for both, but I prefer to mark my primaries for beer or wine only.

Oh! by the way....... These juice buckets also make great brine tanks for fresh hams and other special meat creations.

Salute! :mug:

I'd make her buy her own!!! :ban:

Be sure she ASKs you for approval to buy more equipment...:mug:

Isn't that how you got yours....???? ;)

Then you can threaten to cut her off ;) if she lies to you about new acquisitions...just like you did...:ban:

Then you can threaten to cut her off ;) if she lies to you about new acquisitions...just like you did...:ban:

LMAO, so true, so true!
+1

Funny.

Actually, we each have our own weekly allowance that we can spend as we please and she was looking at picking up a wine making kit. I said she should save her money and use my equipment since it's mostly the same, anyway. It also makes sense since we're limited on storage space.

Either way, I'll be happy if she starts making her own since it's a lot cheaper than store-bought wine, even the inexpensive wines she usually gets. Hopefully the homemade stuff will be even better.

Win-win, right? :)

Back