Mixing base malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am going to brew up an Arrogant Bastard Clone. The recipe calls for #15 of 2 row. I have about #8 of 2 row left and was going use Pale malt for the remaining #7. I am thinking that it should not make a difference but I am not 100% on this.

Thoughts?

I would think it would be ok to mix it. Are you sure the Pale isn't 2-row? Arrogant Bastard is a strong beer -- I don't think it should be too sensitive to base malt subtleties. If it were me I'd calculate the recipe with the amounts of malts I'm actually going to use, especially if the Pale is 6-row which is probably a little lower yielding.

My next two beers on deck are a porter and a stout, and I'm running out of my Maris Otter and my next 50# is 2-row pale. Since they're both dark beers I don't think I'll taste the difference, so I don't care when the changeover will be.

Back