mixed trub from brewpot into wort, what should I do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueVassar

Reaction score
I was a fool and, on my second batch, was overcompensating for how tough a time I had previously cooling off my wort and stirred it a few times. The problem is that I stirred up all the trub from the bottom of the brewpot into the wort.

Right now, it's all in the fermentor minus a little bit left in the brewpot. What should I do? Will it just settle and I can ignore it? Will this be some bitter bitter beer? (oh yeah, forget to say I was doing a variation of the All-Amarillo IPA). I wasn't going to do a secondary (and don't have the equipment) but will that help this beer?

Thanks!

Nothing in my opinion although I will defer to the many more experienced brewers than myself. I usually end up with a great amount (if not all) the trub in the primary. Have not had any trouble with it in the 5 batches that I have brewed. Montanaandy

I'm not good at siphoning, so I usually dump all of my wort in the fermenter without even straining. I've made about 260 batches of beer, and so far it's worked out ok for me!

I know that ideally, you'd strain out the hot break. But those pieces of break are like egg drop soup, and I can't get it out anyway so I stopped trying. With only about 2-3 weeks in the primary, I haven't had any issues with off-flavors from this practice. Maybe if my primary was over a month or so, I might notice some issues but not so far!

I rarely do a secondary, unless it's a lager or unless I'm dryhopping. All of the break material, hop debris, flocculated yeast, etc, all drop to the bottom and compact quite a bit so you can rack off clean beer into the bottling bucket.

I usually pour my whole kettle of wort through a strainer into my fermenter. Some of the break gets strained out but a lot of it goes right in. If you're doing a lager, you need to be a bit more careful about break material, but it's not as vital with an ale. Some break material is actually good for the yeast.

If you were doing an extract brew, there wouldn't be all that much break material anyway.

+1 on "it won't matter." If it was gonna settle out in the kettle, it'll settle out in the fermenter. Don't sweat it, IMHO.

You are fine. Coors (of all people) actually did a study that proved some break material helps the yeast work more quickly.

Back