Mixed star San and Cascade complete in my dishwasher. Is that safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoonigan

Reaction score
Without thinking I put star San in my dishwasher and then started it with one of those Cascade complete pods in there. I teach first aid and know generally your not supposed to mix cleaning chemicals but just wasn't thinking this morning. Is that safe mixture? I put my portable dishwasher outside for now just in case

Took a quick browse through the MSDS for them, and as long as it's not the version that contains bleach I'd say you're probably fine.

The beach one also probably fine given the circumstances, but bleach plus acid (star san is phosphoric plus another acid)= bad (chlorine gas).

Now the question is, why were you putting star san in your dishwasher?

I imagine Star San in the dishwasher would look something like this:

Dishwasher-tablets-or-powder.jpg

I put 1tsp of starsan in my DW before. Thinking I was sanitizing to use as a bottling station. Foam. My D/W has a sensor that made it run the rinse cycle three times, before I just shut it down, and after bottling, added dirty dishes to eat the foam on another run... Then I would just use it after I emptied and spray bottle the racks where I was dripping off the rinse bottles. No infections ever.

Getting it extra clean. I'm getting married this week and do we're doing a lot of cleaning around the house and my brain is in overload lol. On the HB side of things, we made 6 cases of Homebrew as our wedding favors

Took a quick browse through the MSDS for them, and as long as it's not the version that contains bleach I'd say you're probably fine.

The beach one also probably fine given the circumstances, but bleach plus acid (star san is phosphoric plus another acid)= bad (chlorine gas).

Now the question is, why were you putting star san in your dishwasher?
Yea, seems it was ok. I didn't get any super pungent smells and supposedly Clorine gas is greenish yellow and heavier than air so would be pretty obvious on the floor. Thanks!! (again answered your question in my previous post)

If you can see chlorine gas, you won't for long!!!:eek: If it were that concentrated you would die quickly. Mixing bleach and comet in toilets has killed a few people........and they never saw any gas.

Without thinking I put star San in my dishwasher and then started it with one of those Cascade complete pods in there. I teach first aid and know generally your not supposed to mix cleaning chemicals but just wasn't thinking this morning. Is that safe mixture? I put my portable dishwasher outside for now just in case
Why ?
clean first , sanitize after.

When I read the thread title, I thought it was going to be starsan and cascade hops in the dishwasher (IDK why anyone would put hops in the dishwasher). I was hoping for a photo of the mess!

Getting it extra clean. I'm getting married this week and do we're doing a lot of cleaning around the house and my brain is in overload lol. On the HB side of things, we made 6 cases of Homebrew as our wedding favors
star san is not a cleaner... it does not clean things. its just a mild acid. this is a very common misconception here.

Latest posts

Back