Mixed Drinks on Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try mixed drinks on tap and recently have started liking these hard seltzers as something simply refreshing. Sometimes I just don't want beer. When I first started kegging many years ago, I did try a small batch of vodka and kool-aid and it was actually pretty good carbonated. I was at a bar recently and they had Jack and Coke on tap which I had once wanted to try too. I was thinking abut trying 2 x 1.75L bottles of 40% Vodka with filtered water and adding Mio water enhancer until it tastes decent and then force-carbing. With a total of 5 gallons of volume I should get about a 7.4% low cal and carb free beverage.

I am curious what crazy concoctions any of you have tried.

David

I make some hard punches every year for Hallowing using a 12-15% sugar wash. I just calculate what ABV I want, get some juice concentrates, and replace appropriate amount of water with the wash. I also do hard lemonade the same way, along with a sort of faux cider using apple juice concentrate. I've done some rum and cola (using cola syrup) in 2 liter bottles. I may do a sort of cranberry vodka using the same wash.

I make some hard punches every year for Hallowing using a 12-15% sugar wash. I just calculate what ABV I want, get some juice concentrates, and replace appropriate amount of water with the wash. I also do hard lemonade the same way, along with a sort of faux cider using apple juice concentrate. I've done some rum and cola (using cola syrup) in 2 liter bottles. I may do a sort of cranberry vodka using the same wash.

Im curious how much if any residual sugar is left in the wash and if it would be considered low-carb. Also curious what it tastes like, vodka and water just tastes like water but what does sugar wash taste like? I actually made one once and called it water wine because I was curious but that was 15 years ago and I cant actually remember if I ever even tasted it. Might still be in a bottle on the shelf, or thrown out when we moved 6 years ago.

Those punches sound great!!

I might have to do this for my wife.

Im curious how much if any residual sugar is left in the wash and if it would be considered low-carb. Also curious what it tastes like, vodka and water just tastes like water but what does sugar wash taste like? I actually made one once and called it water wine because I was curious but that was 15 years ago and I cant actually remember if I ever even tasted it. Might still be in a bottle on the shelf, or thrown out when we moved 6 years ago.

It really depends on the type of yeast. Using WLP001, Nottingham, and EC1118 I get it down to 1.000 to .998, so very little, but those I only target 8-10% ABV. I just did a batch with turbo yeast, was targeting 16% and got closer to 20%, FG .995. The 8-12% had a bit of a chardonnay flavor to it, while the 20% has a very faint wine flavor with a touch of alcohol. I found at the 12%+ range it doesn't come through in the final product near as much.

I use those alcohol dilution calculators to figure out my volumes, so I'll say I want 5 gallons of a 6.5% punch using 20% base, then use what it says for alcohol and for the "water" I calculate how much cans of frozen juice concentrate (they typically make 48oz per can). One thing to note, you'll end up with a LOT of pulp/gunk in the bottom of your keg (think of how much you get if you mix up just a pitcher, then times 11 or so cans). I have my diptubes cut about an inch off the bottom, and even then the first few pours are pure sludge, along with the last couple pours. I've thought about trying to filter some of that out during mixing with a fine mesh bag but may add an extra can to make of for potentially losing flavor. I'm also thinking of trying a batch using Prairie Moon concentrates, not wholly natural but this is just for a party so I doubt anyone will care.

Funny enough just a few weeks ago the local liquor store had a sort of fake Fireball on sale, $4.99 for 750ml, no liquor taxes (I'm in WA). Reading the bottle it's because they it's using a "wine base" and not distilled alcohol so isn't subject to the same taxes, which is essentially what I'm doing. This one tastes pretty nasty since I'm sure they are pushing the absolute max ABV they can from the sugar wine.

Cheers!

There is a bar here in Omaha that has champagne on tap (Homey Inn). Not a mixed drink, but unusual.

Finally did it and it tastes great, when you when you something refreshing, low calorie, and zero carbs.

Thought I should post the recipe in case anyone wants to try it.

1750ml Pinnacle Vodka 40%
800ml Pinnacle Whipped Vodka 30%

Top up with distilled water to 5 gallons
2 Packages of Orange Tangerine MIO Water Enhancer.

4.9% ABV
96 Calories per 12 oz serving

Back