Mitigating Infection Risk After Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmark21

Reaction score
Say someone has just kegged a beer and is worried about a possible infection. No sign of infection has been detected yet. The beer will be cellared in my closet for 1 to 2 years, and I want to take every step possible to ensure it doesn't spoil. Given that there were many hands involved (barrel beer), it would make sense that the risk for infection is higher relative to a solo project.

Question: Is there any problem with dropping a campden tablet in the keg, or even treating it with sorbate? Are there other methods to nipping an infection in the bud, other than the obvious care taken during brewing, fermenting, etc...?

It's a robust porter; was in the barrel for 91 days. I'm guessing maybe 6 - 7% abv. pulled two days ago out of the barrel. Tasted great. Maybe a tad too oaky or tannic, and a not as chewy as I'd like it; but a great tasting beer nonetheless and no sign of infection.

Carefully sanitize your hands...then pour a pint, sit down, and forget about your beer.

Back