Mistakes - Did I Contaminate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galbzilla

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I brewed a dunkelweizen this weekend, but I made several mistakes that I fear may have lead to contamination:

1.I forgot to do my wort cooling techniques, and the wort sat in my primary for several hours at about 90 ~ 100 degrees F.

2. I had to pitch the yeast at 90 degrees, most likely leading to less yeast surviving the temperature shock and giving the yeast less of a head start on other bacteria.

3. I feared the yeast would over flow (33% head space requirement for this strain of yeast) and I attempted to do a blow off for the first time. The tubing I used for the blow off wasn't large enough and there was no bubbling for approximately the first 12 hours. After 12 hours, I switched to an air lock.

Do you think the beer is contaminated?

Thanks,
Galbzilla

No.

Relax- spend some time reading up on swamp coolers, ice baths, how to make you own wort chiller, or some other project.

Your beer will be fine.

The yeast should still be around at that temp, primary fermentation may just take a little longer if any yeast died. I somehow pitched yeast at around 120F my first time and had fermentation about a day later. Just make sure your gravity is steady before bottling. You may still want to keep a blowoff tube on for when the yeast start kickin'

Thanks guys! You have definitely eased my mind. If I wasn't at work I'd be relaxing and having a home brew.

By the way, my cooling methods work fairly well and I'd like to share it with anyone that may need it.

I'm mostly extract and a steep a few specialty grains for flavor, aroma, body and head. My pre-boil volume is 2.5Gal, and I usually need about 3Gal to get up to 5Gal batch size. Before I start brewing I place 3Gal of bottled, spring water in my freezer. Once I've completed my boil, I move the brew kettle into my sink which is filled with ice and give it a couple of good stirs. I leave it there for about five minutes and it comes down to about 160 F. Then I slowly pour it into my primary and add the cold 3Gals. I did this yesterday at a friend's house (Rosemary IPA) and it was at 74 F within 10 minutes.

By the way, my cooling methods work fairly well and I'd like to share it with anyone that may need it.

I'm mostly extract and a steep a few specialty grains for flavor, aroma, body and head. My pre-boil volume is 2.5Gal, and I usually need about 3Gal to get up to 5Gal batch size. Before I start brewing I place 3Gal of bottled, spring water in my freezer. Once I've completed my boil, I move the brew kettle into my sink which is filled with ice and give it a couple of good stirs. I leave it there for about five minutes and it comes down to about 160 F. Then I slowly pour it into my primary and add the cold 3Gals. I did this yesterday at a friend's house (Rosemary IPA) and it was at 74 F within 10 minutes.

I do almost the same thing. I put the cold water into my fermenter and pour the wort in on top. I get the same outcome.

Back