Mistake milling grains. What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgl

Reaction score
So Tonight I milled my grains for a NEIPA I’m planning on brewing tomorrow and I think I accidentally added an extra pound of 2 row in it. I’ve already mixed all the grains from the recipe. I’m only brewing a 1.75 gallon batch so it raises my abv from 5.97 to 7.38.

Do I
A - leave it and brew as is

B- remove a pound and brew it

C - add the other adjuncts at the percentages needed to keep the proportions right then remove necessary grains to ger to original numbers

Last edited:
C !
But first weigh the milled grain to make sure you added the extra 2 pounds.
Mix the milled grain well, before removing the extra. Don't mill the extra added grain, yet.

Store the milled grain in a bag in the fridge or other cool place. Best is in an O2 barrier bag (such as those crispy bags Quaker Oats come in). But a Ziplock bag or any other thick bag will work fine for a few months too.

depends if you're more worried about ABV or flavor? base grain is just raw fermentables? i think anyway. so adjusting your recipe by percentage for the flavor stuff would be way different, but just more base grain....

hell sounds like they're all allready mixed....how big is your fermentor, maybe add some water? make it a 2.5-2.25 gallon batch?

or maybe just count on drinking only 3-4. instead of 6? ;) :mug:

Roll with it. An extra pound in five gallons sure won't hurt anything.

Lightening up the adjuncts to make up the difference will probably change the overall character of the beer more.

If you want your recipe to turn out as you planned it, with each ingredient in its correct proportion and the ABV where you want it, choose C.
Save those removed grains for a smaller batch later. But not too much later, since they are milled.

Back