Mistake in IPA Extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
Ok, I know it's pretty hard to mess up an extract brew, but I managed to do it.

I accidentally used 1KG of dried Light Dry Malt instead of 500gm. I did use the 300gm Dextrose as required as well, so the OG was pretty high, 1.055.

What affect is this going to have on final brew, other than a higher ABV?

You need to put your whole recipe up or did you use only 1 KG for your whole recipe? That would be a very weak brew for 5 Gal. batch:mug:

It was a tinned extract recipe from Cooper's that of course came with the yeast and called for 500gm of light malt extract and 300gm Dextrose in addition to the can of extract, packaged yeast and 20litres of water or so to make 22litres. I was going to just add half the bag of dried malt, but forgot and dumped it all in.

I didn't realise it until I checked the OG and found it to be quite high for a standard kit. So the question is, While I know the final product will have a higher alcohol content than the kit was expected to produce, will this much Light Dry Malt affect the batch drastically in any other way?

I don't think it will mess it up all that much but a lot depends on the hopping rate. I guess the Coopers tins are prehopped for the most part so it may not be quite as bitter as you anticipate.

PeteOz77 said:
Ok, I know it's pretty hard to mess up an extract brew, but I managed to do it.

I accidentally used 1KG of dried Light Dry Malt instead of 500gm. I did use the 300gm Dextrose as required as well, so the OG was pretty high, 1.055.

What affect is this going to have on final brew, other than a higher ABV?
A little more alcohol and a little more body and slightly more balanced towards the malt rather than hops. No problems. :D
Craig

sirsloop said:
whats all this gram and kilogram talk... lol...

1.055... thats normal, especially for an IPA!!!

That is normal for an IPA here in the US, and especially if you are talking a West Coast IPA. In other places around the world, if I remember what I read correctly, IPA is not as big of a beer as we have taken to making it here in the US.

Back