Missing Airlock Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aguirre

Reaction score
Hello All,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn't see a thread.

I am brewing a batch of English Pale Ale, but as I was going through my checklist I noticed that the cap to my three-piece cheapo lock is missing.

Can I just stick some foil on top and rubber band it on or is the lid a vital part?

Thanks!

i'm sure the foil will work just fine, maybe poke a few holes in it. i bet you can just leave the lid off all together if you have it in a safe enough place.

im a noob but from what i understand is the cap is just there to keep stuff out of your airlock and eventually getting into the brew. i think if you just throw some foil on the top you will get the same effect. on my first batch i didnt even cap the airlock and the beer turned out fine. theres nothing to worry about.

When making wine, I always put a small piece of paper towel between the top of the airlock and the cap to keep fruit flies out. They can actually squeeze throught the small holes in the cap and commit suicide in the sulfite solution in the airlock. Probably overkill, but you never know when you are going to get a vigerous fermentation that could possibly pull some sanitizer back into the brew. Just my tuppence worth. I would put a piece of breathable paper towel with a rubber band over the top.

I'm just using an airlock for the first time and I've put sanitising solution in it. Seems reasonable to me. Can't imagine what would happen if it gets sucked back though.

I'm just using an airlock for the first time and I've put sanitising solution in it. Seems reasonable to me. Can't imagine what would happen if it gets sucked back though.

Properly diluted no rinse sanitizers are innocuous enough so that a small amount of sanitizer solution in a full batch of beer is not a problem. Some people use vodka because they know it's safe, but Star San is safe as well.

Regarding the missing lid, I think the lid on the 3-piece airlock is only needed to cover the inner tube (the one that sticks into your fermenter). On a two piece airlock, I doubt the lid is even needed except to prevent spilling the liquid.

The inner moving part of the three piece could get blown out if your ferment is vigorous enough. I just put a piece of scotch tape across so that exiting CO2 can get around it.

The inner moving part of the three piece could get blown out if your ferment is vigorous enough. I just put a piece of scotch tape across so that exiting CO2 can get around it.

+1 on the scotch tape. All the cap is really doing is keeping the thimble from blowing off. Anything that holds the thimble down will do. A more open top may allow junk to fall into the airlock liquid, but that's not a major concern.

Back