Missed OG. Can it be adjusted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token

Reaction score
I generally do extract brews, have been moving into partial mash, and today went a little further (not ALL grain, but mostly) by following DeathBrewer's pictoral on stove top all grain. I still added a bit of DME at the end to make up for the 2.5 pounds of grain the recipe called for but I did not use. I brewed a tried and true (by other all grain guys) recipe, so I know it should work out great.

I think I had too much grain in too small a bag for the mash. I did use two bags to break it up a bit, but I think the one must have still been too full? I did my sparge by doing a 10 minute "tea bag" as DB suggests. Added the DME during the last 10 minutes of the boil.

The recipe calls for an OG in the range of 1.038. Mine is way low at around 1.021. I still have some DME; can I boil it in a quart of water and add to the primary? I only have about half a pound left.

Help! And thanks.

I would do it. At 1.021 it can't hurt but could help a little. Half pound is not going to get you much, maybe .03-.05 gravity points. Good luck!!

Back