missed mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Brewed a centennial blonde yesterday and missed temp. Was only a single batch in my 15 gallon kettle so guage read 165 and thought I was good for douging in but water was below proper temp probe and while mixing grain saw only 130!!!! yikes!! Called for 154. Quickly heated about 10 litres to a measured 185 and mixed in a few litres at a time and got around 147 to 145 and closed lid on mash cooler and hoped for the best.

Anyone have this experience and still come out with a fine ale?

Assuming it will be thinner in body. SG was still right on at 1.043.

Thanks

Will learn from this error as I usually do double batches and measure temperature with the kettle and 2 other gauges.

Relax, it will be fine, you did an unintended step mash, it will give you better fermentable wort, as does the lower mash temp. Body may not be all that much affected, depending on what else is in there. I'd sit it out and enjoy it for what it is. You can always blame it on the blonde.

You can always blend it with other, heavier beer if you feel the need for a bit more oomph.

Fix that gauge!

Relax, it will be fine, you did an unintended step mash, it will give you better fermentable wort, as does the lower mash temp. Body may not be all that much affected, depending on what else is in there. I'd sit it out and enjoy it for what it is. You can always blame it on the blonde.

You can always blend it with other, heavier beer if you feel the need for a bit more oomph.

Fix that gauge!

relax and drink a beer sounds good to me..........thanks

Gauge is fine.................... my eyes and head need the fix!!!

relax and drink a beer sounds good to me..........thanks

Gauge is fine.................... my eyes and head need the fix!!!
I find those round dials they put on kettles very, very difficult to read, even the 3" ones. Too many and too small numbers with no placeholders for the eyes. Another example when more is not better.

My kettle temperature gauge is ok and quite accurate but I like to have my other two around to verify calibration. The kettle and one of my hand held are bang on and my middle of the road probe measure 2-3 lower.

I did pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago to a blonde ale. It turned to be alright. Not my best brew, but I’m going to drink it. Lol

I called it the hot blonde.

I've been too low, to high, added water, added ice, heated some of the mash. The only time I think I significantly altered the beer was heating some of the mash. While adding it back, I let some come to a rapid boil, darkening the whole beer. It was still good. Don't worry, your baby will grow into a fine brew.

Back