Missed FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of depends. What beer are you making and what yeast are you using?

If it's a saison yeast they tend to stall out until you ramp up fermentation temps.

More than likely though you missed your mash temp. If it was too high or low it can greatly effect your FG.

There are a whole lot of reasons. Number one is probably the level of unfermentables in the wort. Mashing too hot can cause a beer to under-ferment, too cool will be too fermentable. There are plenty of threads on this. The other biggie is fermentation temperature. If the temp isn't right (this usually happens if it's too cool), then the yeast may stop early.

Another thing - I've noticed that a lot of times when I think I've finished high (weeks after signs of fermentation - not just airlock activity, but krausen, clearing, etc), it'll continue to ferment, even slowly in the keg. So be sure to go by your hydrometer and give it time, even if it looks like it's done.

Is this just a general question, or can we see a recipe?

it's a little of both,

used a Kit from midwest, 20 minute boil kit, Nut Brown Ale, it's been at .020 the last two days so pretty sure its done but the recipe says it should be .010-.012 so not neccesarily a bad thing just wondered if there was a reason.

I give the fermenter a swirl about 3 days before it's done, without even checking gravity, as sometimes the yeast just needs a little rousing to finish up.

Yeah did the swirling thing FG is still 0.020, I'm not going to worry, I definitely have learned alot from my first brew, Will I have to adjust my priming sugar weights/volumes to compensate the higher FG

Back