Missed adding Carapils to Imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of grain to make 2 different beers and my carapils got missed when I was putting my grain together for an imperial stout. Think this will make much of a difference? below is my recipe:

17lb pale malt
.75lb roasted barley
.75lb special b
.25lb chocolate malt

schematix

Banned
Reaction score
taking a second look at your recipe though, have you made this before?

I didn't crunch your color numbers but this feels like it's going to come out brown, not black.

OP
Trails_n_Ales

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
taking a second look at your recipe though, have you made this before?

I didn't crunch your color numbers but this feels like it's going to come out brown, not black.

View attachment IMG_1509216702.885777.jpg

Haven’t made this before. I put the numbers in brewers friend and got 38srm. Wanted to keep it in bjcp style guidelines in case i want to enter it into comp. just took a hydrometer reading and looks pretty good.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
Since this is a big beer, and considering it should have a higher FG, it should have tons of body. Carapils in an imperial stout just really isn't needed.

Looks good!

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A quick look at the recipe gave me the same thought - that it was not going to be very dark. Then I saw the picture. Looks good!

OP
Trails_n_Ales

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
I thought the same about the color as well. Off the top of my head I had 1.5lb of roasted barley, 1lb of special b, and .5lb of chocolate. After putting it through brewers friend I saw that I could dial back the darker grains.

Transamguy77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t see why you were concerned about missing the carapils, were you looking to add some sweetness or add mouthfeel? If so you could add some maltodextrin or lactose but I think the lactose would make it a milk stout, if you were going to enter it in a comp.

schematix

Banned
Reaction score
Lack of mouthfeel or body is unlikely to be an issue in a beer that probably has an OG in the neighborhood of 1.090, and an FG hopefully at or below 1.020.

If anything the opposite is the problem - TOO much residual sweetness. That's why leaving the CPils out was a good thing. There's just so much malt here the last thing you want is unfermentables. The fermentables alone that won't ferment can even be too much.

Transamguy77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Schematix I totally agree, which is why I asked the question, although rereading my answer I think I knew what I was asking but half of my thoughts were still in my head which is what you said in the second paragraph.

OP
Trails_n_Ales

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing a big stout like this and was using a base recipe. Wasn’t sure how much missing the cpils would affect the end result.