Miss Saison and Her Surly Sister

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usurpers26

Reaction score
So Friday was probably the nicest day of the summer up here in CT...what better to do but brew? We popped open the ferm chamber, crap - it is full...seven brews and none ready to bottle or keg. Hmm, ok it's supposed to be in the 80's to low 90's over the next week or so - time to let mother nature dictate!

We figured we'd do a nice 11 gallon batch and split it between two fermenters and rock two different strains (3724 and 3522). Whipped up a nice 2L starter of each and we're off! Kept the recipe super simple and made our own pretty candi syrup (came out a delicious honey color).

22lb Belg. Pils
4lb Candi Syrup
1oz Magnum @ 90
1oz Styrian and Hersbrucker @ 15
1oz Styrian and Hersbrucker @ 0
90 min mash @ 148*
25.7 IBU
1.071 OG

Pitched 3724 --> Miss Saison
Pitched 3522 --> Her Surly Sister

Currently at 80* and the 3724 is going mad - 3522 has a nice krausen but is nowhere near as intense. Smell is already awesome...gonna ramp up to 85* today and 90* tomorrow - bring on the funk :)

So very interesting…now three days into fermentation on these two and the water bath is actually acting as a heatsink!

Makes me wonder if this happens all the time I use a water bath??

The water bath was 75* on day one and beer temp was 72* in both fermenters. Then the bath went to 80* and the beer temp was 78*. Today I put the bath up to 85* and the beer temp is 83*.

Had to plug in the second aquarium heater, time to get this bad boy up to 90-95* :)

That's a big saison! I bet it'll taste great.

Have fun with the 3724!

I'm using that right now for my Saison, and it sure is taking its time-- nearly three weeks now and I believe it's only just getting around to finishing the job.

-Steve

Day 28 @ 85* (can't maintain any warmer since the weather has cooled)

Pitched 3724 --> Miss Saison @ 1.015
Pitched 3522 --> Her Surly Sister @ 1.015

It may be the end of the road for 3522 but I really hope 3724 can get down to 1.010!

Mine finally made it down to 1.010... might have gone lower, but I got impatient and tired of an 85 deg. F. laundry room! Cold crashing now to keg soon, but darn if the yeast are lazy in flocculating too!

-Steve

What was your OG? I am at 77% attenuation now and another 3-4% will only get me to 1.012-13

Yeah, it was funny to see the two samples next to each other - the 3522 was crystal clear and the 3724 was opaque...at best. They both tasted awesome though :)

Mine finally made it down to 1.010... might have gone lower, but I got impatient and tired of an 85 deg. F. laundry room! Cold crashing now to keg soon, but darn if the yeast are lazy in flocculating too!

-Steve

OG 1.057, FG 1.010. Apparent attenuation 82.5%. I had 18.8 oz. of simple sugars (sucrose and dextrose) in the recipe, so I'm sure that helped it get down.

-Steve

Back