Mishawaka Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I stopped by Mishawaka Brewing Company in Mishawaka, Indiana with two buddies as we were heading to Pennsylvania. This place is located not far from the Notre Dame campus. It was a Tuesday night (10/17/06) ~9:30pm. If you need another reason to hate Notre Dame, here it is.

The first thing you are hit with as you walk in is a wallop of cigarette smoke. It’s overwhelming! It was like a fog so thick you could cut it with a knife. And this was a Tuesday; I can’t imagine being here on a Saturday night! The place was packed with mostly college students.

Service was non-existent. Waitresses walk around the place, but don’t approach any tables. You have to literally grab one! The one we finally grabbed after sitting for quite awhile told us it was done this way; that no waitress was assigned any particular tables. Nice. The fact that everyone was gong to the bar, getting their drinks, and then heading back to their table should have tipped us off. An awful band mangled unrecognizable songs in another part of the place.

We had three beers, Lake Effect Pale Ale, Four Horsemen Irish Ale and the Founder's Stout. I first ordered their IPA, but they were out. The pale ales were nothing special - drinkable, but there wasn’t much to distinguish one from the other. No hop aroma. The best of the lot was the stout. Again, nothing special, but it at least resembled a stout, some roast and a bit of chocolate, but thin for the style.

Pints were $4, but pitchers were $4.90! Go figure. Had the Scotch Eggs and they weren’t bad – if you like choking down cigarette smoke with your food. The college crowd is probably the only thing keeping this place open. Too bad, the place is nicely decorated and you can see where it would have potential with a lot of tweaking. But I won’t be going back.

Just FYI: I was only there once (and it was about a year and a half ago), but my experience was pretty good. I remember having to go through a smoky area, but where we were seated wasn't smoky at all. I enjoyed the food (not gourmet, but good brewpub food), and I really liked the Lake Effect Pale Ale. In fact, I was pleased to find the Lake Effect in bombers at a nearby liquor store too (in South Bend).

Latest posts

Back