Mint Mead Monster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethb85

Reaction score
Longtime lurker, 10 or so 1gal batches of beer/cider/apple wine/hard lime & lemonade under my belt.

I decided with the fresh mint I have growing on my balcony to make a simple Mint Mead.

1Gal
Filtered water
40oz of clover honey
3/4c of mint when packed into cup (stems and all)
Safbrew T-58

SG 1.086

I cleaned/sanitized the mint then put it in a blender and liquefied it with some water. I plan on racking once it has settled and then maybe racking a few days later with a coffee filter over my siphon to cut down on the mint bits.

It should be very minty but if the mint fades I might bruise some leaves and add them to the secondary.

944305_10151621384367346_1280724962_n.jpg

As a mint lover, you just made my mouth water... That should end up very good.

Sounds good! I recently did a juniper & mint metheglin, flavours worked really well together. I ended up adding dried mint & juniper to the secondary as I found the fresh mint used in my initial brew did not give me the strong mint flavour I was hoping for. After second racking,
the flavour is much stronger & more in line with what I expected. Just something to consider!

After a month this is what it looks like, it has stopped bubbling and I plan to leave it sitting on the mint cake for awhile before bottling.
ForumRunner_20130707_130425.png

I took a measure and it is down to .99x or 12% and that's exactly where the yeast that I used craps out.

I syphoned it off the cake and added some more fresh mint, it had mint flavor to it but not enough.

I am going away for 2 months, so when I come home it should be ready for drinking!

ForumRunner_20130722_233016.jpg

ForumRunner_20130722_233027.jpg

Bottled this yesterday in 750ml wine bottles with screw caps, one wasn't all the way full so it's in my fridge.
2 months ago this was hot alcohol with 0 mint flavor now it's smooth mint with gentle warming down the throat.

It smells stronger of mint then it tastes but the taste is not overly minty but there is no denying what it is.
On the back end it's alittle earthy most likely because I used the stems as well as the mint leaves. It is delicious!

Next time I make this I will use more Honey so it has more residual sweetness, as my wife requests this.

Just a thought; Backsweeten the one in the fridge to your wife's liking, and get an SG on it. So you can make a calculated adjustment. Remember to take the temp into consideration with the hydrometer.

I'd love to see some pictures, if you took any of the bottled product. Sounds like it went really smoothly! Can't wait to hear how it ages and mellows more.

That was disturbing.

Mint - geez, there is a bunch around here. Mint mead next weekend!
It looks like the mint was not crushed. Rolling or crushing will release more flavor.

The primary had mint liquified, I literally put it all in a blender and blended it till it was liquid, in the secondary I bruised all the leaved (crushed/snapped it but left intact

The primary had mint liquified, I literally put it all in a blender and blended it till it was liquid, in the secondary I bruised all the leaved (crushed/snapped it but left intact

mint aroma is a very volatile compound, it easily evaporates, and hence why you can smell it!

Tonight I'm adding peaches and mint to one of my two gallon batches of orange blossom mead. I almost want to make some that is only mint for use in blending!

I thought about dunking them I. Sanitizer but I didn't want to lose any of the oils. I took all the leaves put them in a Muslin bag and tossed it in the freezer for 24 hrs. That's what I do with all my fruit too. Never had any issues.

Just so you know, freezing will kill the insect type bugs, but the bacterial kind don't much care either way. Mead is fairly resilient and you don't usually need to specially sanitize fruit and other additives though.

Quick question - How did you sanitize the mint leaves?
Holy batman this thread is old.

I submerged in sani solution for a minute, I found I have 2 bottles of this left. One is going in the fridge and I will try it later today.

Back