Mint in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzy2001

Reaction score
So I tried that Ballast Point Peppermint victory at sea imperial Porter. It's really good and I have been wanting to add some mint to a brew. I like this one because it's subtle. I've had others and it was way too much.

My question to those of you who have used mint in a brew. How much mint did you add? And at which part of the brewing?

I've read that adding it to the boil late can work. And I've seen others say that they made an extract and added it in the secondary or the bottling bucket.

The only mint I've used was a small amount of homegrown spearmint in some whiskey, added to a glass of Chocolate Stout. It was ok, but as good as I expected.

I would not add to the boil as that can drive off volatile aroma and flavor. I would try extract in secondary, or maybe even a touch at bottling.

I used 10 Celestial Seasonings tea bags in the last 10 minutes of the boil for a 5 gallon peppermint chocolate stout. It was stronger than I preferred. I think 5 bags would be subtle but still noticeable. To play it safe, make a tincture with vodka and do a measured dosing at packaging time.

I make a mint porter every year and add like 6 pure peppermint tea bags to the boil and usually a couple to the keg and get great mint flavor

Back