Minor hiccup with gelatin - advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I used gelatin on my first beer and was thrilled with the results. On that beer, I added the gelatin after kegging and carbing.

I just finished my second beer, an IIPA. I racked it to the keg last week and let it crash over night with enough CO2 to keep good seals. Next day I did my usual 30 psi keg roll, then put it back in the fridge overnight. Here's where gelatin comes in...

Next day I added my gelatin. I did exactly what I did the first time. Used about 1/2 tsp in about 1/4 cup water. Let it bloom for 10 minutes then heated to 150, then added to the keg. I checked it 24 hours later just to see how it was looking. It hadn't cleared much at all yet, no big deal. However, it still wasn't carbed to what I wanted, so I cranked some CO2 and rolled it again. Now, I'm sure this second rolling agitated the hell out of the gelatin. The next day it still wasn't clear (which is to be expected after earthquaking it) but it was carbed how I wanted it. So my carbonation is where I want it now. But clarity is not.

My question: should I do another round of gelatin? Or is my original dose of gelatin for fining still good and I just need to let it settled out for 48 hours?

No harm in leaving it for a couple of days and seeing if the gelatin will still do it's work. I'd at least give it a chance before opening the keg again, losing more hop aroma and letting in more air (i.e., oxidation). Also, a little haze is to style in IPAs and IIPAs.

No harm in leaving it for a couple of days and seeing if the gelatin will still do it's work. I'd at least give it a chance before opening the keg again, losing more hop aroma and letting in more air (i.e., oxidation). Also, a little haze is to style in IPAs and IIPAs.
True. And this beer just may not clear up. And if so, that's fine. I just got such great results on the last one I was hoping for something similar with this one. But if it ain't in the cards, no worries.

My understanding is that the geletain collects the proteins causing haze as it settles through the beer. My guess is that all the clumps are all stirred up again. You could try adding some more and let it set.

One other comment on the carbing up with I picked up from the Brulosophy guys. Assuming you have a dual regulator or can unhook your other beers for 24 hours, rack your beer into the keg then put it in your keezer, put the co2 on and crank it up to 40psi. Leave it on 40psi for 24 hours. Then vent it and set it on serving pressure. I've been doing this for 18 months now and it carbs up prefectly. No rocking no shaking no week long low PSI carbing. Beer is ready in 24 hours to drink.

Also, if you are cold crashing in your primary fermentor, you can add your geletin there while it cold crashes and rack your fined beer into the keg.

My understanding is that the geletain collects the proteins causing haze as it settles through the beer. My guess is that all the clumps are all stirred up again. You could try adding some more and let it set.

One other comment on the carbing up with I picked up from the Brulosophy guys. Assuming you have a dual regulator or can unhook your other beers for 24 hours, rack your beer into the keg then put it in your keezer, put the co2 on and crank it up to 40psi. Leave it on 40psi for 24 hours. Then vent it and set it on serving pressure. I've been doing this for 18 months now and it carbs up prefectly. No rocking no shaking no week long low PSI carbing. Beer is ready in 24 hours to drink.

Also, if you are cold crashing in your primary fermentor, you can add your geletin there while it cold crashes and rack your fined beer into the keg.
I will absolutely be adding gelatin to the carboy next time before I rack to the keg.

So you rack to the keg, set psi to 40, then 24 hours later vent and set to serving pressure and it's good to go right then? If so, that sounds great I'll have to try that next time.

I will absolutely be adding gelatin to the carboy next time before I rack to the keg.

So you rack to the keg, set psi to 40, then 24 hours later vent and set to serving pressure and it's good to go right then? If so, that sounds great I'll have to try that next time.

That's the approach I use, sometimes 30, sometimes 40, and the 24 hours is always ±4-6 hours.

The beer is drinkable after 24 hours, but the carbonation seems to "settle out" over the next day or two.

Yep (with the same +/- 6 hours).

If I want it to be exta carbed, like a triple or something, I don't vent it right away. Just remove the co2 connection and leave it for another 6-12 hours. Otherwise, yep, just vent and then put it on serving pressure.

Ive been doing my gelatin in the carboys for the past few years with great results. Once the beer has been near 32F for 2 days, I add the gelatin mix, then rack a few days later.

As for the carbing, I do ^^this^^ as well with great, constant results. Sometimes I do 30psi for 24-36 hours, or 40psi for 24 hours.

I am not huge fan on the rolling technique because the consistency of carbonation varies keg to keg due to multiple variables. If that is your preferred method though, keep on keeping on. :mug:

Ive been doing my gelatin in the carboys for the past few years with great results. Once the beer has been near 32F for 2 days, I add the gelatin mix, then rack a few days later.

As for the carbing, I do ^^this^^ as well with great, constant results. Sometimes I do 30psi for 24-36 hours, or 40psi for 24 hours.

I am not huge fan on the rolling technique because the consistency of carbonation varies keg to keg due to multiple variables. If that is your preferred method though, keep on keeping on. :mug:
I'm definitely going to try to 30-40 psi for 24 hours then bump it down to serving pressure. This seems like it'll be much more consistent and honestly much easier. I'm all about efficiency.

Back