Minimum necessary to keg homebrew for a friend's party (requires traveling)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redzeker

Reaction score
I've never kegged, only bottled. I have a 5-gallon batch that I missed bottling deadline (won't have time to carb), so I'm thinking about putting it in a corny/sixth-barrel keg so I can take to a friend's housewarming party about 3 hours away. Put it in a cooler of ice and serve from a picnic tap. I'm not looking to get into kegging, really, just want to know what I need to have to do this. I have access to an appropriate keg and 5# CO2 tank. What else do I need? Links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have keg/Co2 tank you've got the expensive stuff already. Assuming CO2 has regulator? If so, all you need is gas line, and appropriate gas connector for style keg you've got (likely either ball lock or pin lock). Be sure to have clamps to prevent leaks. Similarly, you'll need beverage connect (again ball lock or pin lock), clamps and beverage line/picnic tap. If you have regulator- probably only looking at $10-$15.

You'll need to quick carbonate it. I've never done it myself, but various techniques include cranking up CO2 for few hrs and/or rocking keg to saturate w/ co2. Another method is to connect the gas to the beverage line so it bubbles up through. If you don't do a quick connect, you'll be able dispense the beer, but it will be flat.

You have two things to deal with that require CO2 - carbonation and serving. I assume you're too late to carbonate naturally with added sugar, so you'll need to force carb.

To carbonate with a tank you'll also need a regulator, a short length of gas tubing, appropriate clamps for either end of the tubing, and a ball or pin lock quick disconnect for the gas in valve on the keg. You'll also need a place to put the keg where it's cold while you're carbonating, at least it would be most preferable to do so.

You can use the same equipment for dispensing if you like; that's what we do when we have a permanent kegging setup. However, you may also consider a "keg charger" for dispensing, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Connection-Picnic-Dispenser-Cartridges/dp/B00OSGC3MU/ref=pd_sim_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WDFC9T0DPKCT00TGGB63

It uses CO2 cartridges and is much easier to travel with than the whole tank, regulator, and tubing setup. It will not carbonate the beer, but it will push it out adequately to produce the expected flow rate and head.

The biggest pain with keg traveling is sediment. Kegs are best left untouched once they are tapped, so the beer can clarify. If you move it, you will stir up a cloud which will need to re-settle in order to keep the appearance looking nice. Of course if you're serving out of red Solo cups it may not matter!

I have purposefully brewed cloudy beer - like hefeweizen - when I've chosen to bring kegs to other venues. Either that, or see if you can get it there a few hours early and put it in place ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
When are you leaving. You only need one day to carb a keg. Assuming it cold already If you put it in now youll have carbed beer by 10 AM tomorrow...Then all you need is an old school pump and barrel of ice

Actually if you don't have time to carb at home how do you plan on having it carbed at the party. You can't just hook up gas to flat beer and start drinking it. Whether its your house or at the party it still needs time to carb

Minimum would be a keg, tap, regulator and Co2 tank.

Once the keg is chilled you can force carb in a few minutes by raising pressure and shaking the keg for around 2 minutes, but chances are high for either over or under carbing this way, and any sediment will be resuspended.

Many shortcuts you can take in kegging, just be warned some can bight you in the ass lol.

I would suggest buying a case of craft beer or be prepared for possible disappointment, as the end result kegging is typically better after a week or two with the keg carbing and not being moved, you will be fighting a battle on two fronts.

Can it be done, sure it can, just not for best results.

This is a good read:
http://brulosophy.com/methods/carbonation-methods/

Agree with advice above; time is your friend.
Burst carb asap aiming for slightly undercarbed beer.
Then set the pressure to the desired volumes at serving temp.
The longer it sits like this, the better.

Also, try not to shake/move the keg too much on your travels.
Even a day or two with the keg motionless at the serving location, will make a difference in the clarity.

Back