minimum boil temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I just did my first extract brew partial boil with steeping grains and late extract.

I was able to brew 155 deg for 30 min for my steeping grains.
I added 1/3 of my LME
I was able to only get up to 212 deg for my gentle rolling boil. (could not my 3 gallons of wort to a higher temp with any of my burners on my stove top)
I added hops when planned
I added hydrated irish moss with 15 min left
and added final 2/3 of LME at flame out

What is the minimum temp one should boil at?

What may I see as a result from not having a rapid boil?

Is there anything I can do to allow my nat. gas stove to get hotter? or should I just start using my turkey fryer outdoors?

212 is boiling that is all you get, unless at a different altitude.

A slow boil may be the best that you will be able to get on your stove. If that's the case then that's fine, you will just losing less to boiloff and thusly using less water to topoff with.

amishland said:
What is the minimum temp one should boil at?

I would have to say....212. :D I try to keep it at a nice gently roll anyway, less danger of boil over. I get the hot break, back it off to the gentle roll and forget about it. I seem to get the hop utilization that I'm shooting for if my taste buds are to be believed. Someone else might have a scientific answer for you though. My answers tend to be...I do this, and it works.

Back