Mini-survey of extract efficiencies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebeth

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my first all-grain brew in the fermenter (strong bitter ale) and finishing up my notes. Figured out my extract efficiency at 69% and wondered if that's good/medium/bad. In other words, should I look to improve my methods, or am I on target.

Thanks to any who would like to reply.

Mike

PS: After reading some posts and the stickies up top, I think my extract is more like 80. I neglected the gallon of foundation water I left in the bottom of the lauter tun (too much sparge water due to overshooting with the acid while adjusting the pH down to 5.7) since I got my 7 gallons before running off all the sparge water. Obviously still working on my technique.

That's certainly in the ballpark and not bad for your first brew. My first was 75 or so. It has dipped as low as 65, got some bad 2 row I think, every batch I made with it eff sucked. My normal is right around 80, so that's the number I use in Beersmith.

Bump. Curious about this myself. I get 80 using the Bobby_m double batch sparge no mash out method.

I averaged just under 70% before getting my Barley Crusher. My last two batches have been at 75%.

I'm going to tighten the gap a little, redesign my MLT, and try to remember to use PH stabilizer from now on. I'm happy with 75%, but would like to get a consistent 80+ if possible.

I aim for about 75%. But Of course the goal is to get as close to 100% as possible so you can save a bit in grain.

Anyone know what big beer manufacturers get?

I get 70% consistently using the no-mash out double sparge technique and my Barley Crusher (haven't changed the gap). I also do 1.25 qt/lb but I am planning to thin it out on my next batch to see what effect that has on efficiency.

I was getting low 70's with pre crush grain the last two with the BC I hit mid 80's . I am going to do a few more and see where it settles and adjust the recipes from there

Latest posts

Back