Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
I am looking at ordering a couple more kits from AHB, and I was wondering what the benifits would be to doing a mini mash? Do you get better flavor? I know its more work, but is that extra work worth it?

Really depends on the beer. Some improve from specific grains, but if it i just mini mashing some regular 2 row, no need. It is a fun and easy way to get into all grain though, if you are thinking of trying it.

some grains supposedly cannot be steeped and therefore must be mashed, such as rye, munich, etc.

if i remember correctly, this is because they do not have the enzymes to break down the sugars themselves.

however, i have made some very good steeped beers with munich malt in them and i think it definitely added to the flavor.

it's really not THAT much extra work to do a partial mash...it takes a little bit more equipment and you can't do a partial boil, which is why i'm not moving into it very fast, being in my small apartment. i've been making great beers with extract for a few years, but there are limitations.

I see two reasons to go with mini mashes:

1. Use grains that have to be mashed, especially malts like munich and vienna which may be hard to get as extracts but may be needed for specific beers. Also, mashing some 2-row lets you mash and utilize adjuncts (like oats) that need the enzymes from the 2-row to convert.

2. Practice for your first all grain. Order some extra extract so that if you f-up you are OK. The process for mini mash is the same as all grain so it is a 'safe' way to practice the process.

After my first mini mash I went straight to all grain.

To add to DeathBrewer:
You can steep vienna and munich, you will get flavor and color but not many fermentable sugars (unless you do the steep around 150 for an hour). I think with these the difference in the steep and mini mash is the amount you use.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I am going to have to stick to extract for a while. SWMBO isnt going to go for me buying anymore brewing equipment for a while, and I dont have a pot big enough for a full boil.

Thanks again :mug:

ArroganceFan said:
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I am going to have to stick to extract for a while. SWMBO isnt going to go for me buying anymore brewing equipment for a while, and I dont have a pot big enough for a full boil.

Thanks again :mug:

How big is your pot?

All you really need to go PM is a big coarse nylon bag (if your pot is big enough for like 3 gallons).

Deathbrewer: why can't you do a partial boil? Everything I've seen has said that you can; in fact it was trumpeted as one of the great things about PM, as it meant other than a grain bag, an extract brewer can get into it with just the equipment he has.

Yeah AHS only tells you to boil like 2.5 gallons of water for mini-mash. I have a smallish stock pot that I used to use on the stovetop to do this. I've since moved to a 5gal stock pot on an outdoor burner, but that's really an optional upgrade.

Anyway, I do AHS mini-mashes all the time, I've done them since my first brew. They are easy and you feel closer to doing all-grain than you do with extract. The only added step is obviously steeping the grains in 155F water for 45 minutes. Makes your brew day an hour longer but I think it's worth it. While the grains are steeping you can sanitize and prep the rest of your gear for the boil.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more info... also AHS is really good at answering questions if you want to talk to someone "professional" :)

I've been doing AHS mini-mashes for a while. It takes 30 minutes longer than an AHS extract kit and all you need is a nylon grain bag (<$$). The only thing is you need to try to keep the temperature around 155 degrees for a 45 minute window. Too low a temp doesn't extract the sugars, and too high you're extracting tannins and etc which i've been told taste like ####.

I would highly recommend doing a mini-mash. You learn that much more about the brewing process. I'm graduating to all-grain as soon as i can get my hands on equipment.

I agree- my first mini mashes were from AHS and it was almost identical to their extract/steeping grains technique. The only difference was that there was some 2-row in with the grains, and they were more specific about temperature (for "mashing vs. steeping"). They still tell you to do a partial boil and the process is the same. I think it made much better beer and I would recommend it to anyone. No more work at all and better beer! :mug:

The AHB mini-mash technique involves mashing in 2.5 gallons of water and no sparging [at least for every kit I've ordered from them]. Reds, browns, stouts, porters and any other brew that depends on malty flavors will benefit. If you are a hophead, I wouldn't bother.

OK OK, you guys talked me into it. My next order will contain a Mini Mash. My pot will hold over 3 gallons I believe, but I will make sure first. It held the 2.5 gal with no problem.

I think I am going to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone, LOVE that beer. :tank:

Back