Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwan05

Reaction score
So im going to order some kits from AHS. Ive done 2 batches of liquid extract. Ive heard doing mini mash can really step up the flavor of beer. What am i getting my self into and what stuff would i need? Im looking for a real basic answer before i decide to get one or both of my kits as mini mash. Do mini mash have to be full boil or what? If i do this i dont want to have to get a wort chiller and a pot capable of full boils.

So im going to order some kits from AHS. Ive done 2 batches of liquid extract. Ive heard doing mini mash can really step up the flavor of beer. What am i getting my self into and what stuff would i need? Im looking for a real basic answer before i decide to get one or both of my kits as mini mash. Do mini mash have to be full boil or what? If i do this i dont want to have to get a wort chiller and a pot capable of full boils.

You don't have to do full boils with mini mashes. I used a 2 gallon cooler for a mini mash tun, but you can use muslin bags.

i read through that but does this mean i dont need a mini mash tun? just 2 big pots and the grain bag?

I think it goes more like '2 turntables and a microphone'.

To answer your question, yes you can do a partial mash without a mash tun. My second pot is actually a turkey fryer. It came with a large strainer that hangs on the side (maybe most of those turkey fryer kits are like that) so I don't have to stand there holding 5 pounds of wet grains over the pot.

Perfect timing. I've been thinking about moving over to more of a mini-mash style. I keep screwing up my extract batches in one way or another, so I'm just waiting to get a couple good ones in a row and then its upgrade time.

Back