Mini-growlers (12-oz? 16-oz?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have several 32-ounce growlers which I like a lot. Perfect for bringing several brews to a party or other gathering. Easy to fill using a growler filler, easy to cap.

But I'm looking for a smaller format which also has the growler screw-top type of seal. I want this so I can bring small samples for others to test, and they certainly would be easier than having to use a standard crown to cap them. Fill 'em, screw on the cap, and go!

Anyone have a source for something like this? There are 16-oz growlers out there, but I'd prefer something a bit smaller.

I did find these, which are 8-oz, though not clear if they are useable for beer under pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Bottles-Perfect-Essential-Blends/dp/B00R3E8QU2/ref=sr_1_9_sspa?keywords=12+ounce+screw+cap+amber+bottle&qid=1551829388&s=industrial&sr=8-9-spons&th=1

EDITED TO ADD: I ended up buying the 11-ounce Grolsch-style bottles. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Or 500mL flip tops like some German breweries use? Mönchshof is the one I know off the top of my head.

As far as pressure goes, I imagine a carbonated beer going into a sealed vessel exerts far less force on the bottle than a flat beer that is then bottle carbonated, hence why you can fill growlers but not carbonate in them.

These are resealable, and if they get damaged or lost at a party, no big loss.

001820021979.jpg

Difficulty: You'll have to take one for the team and drink a few Buds to empty them first. Or pour it down the drain. ;)

I was going to recommend the swingtop grolsch bottles as mentioned above. Grolsch beer is sold at giant eagle (4 pack / 12 oz for <$10) then you get the beer and the bottles.

I have several 32-ounce growlers which I like a lot. Perfect for bringing several brews to a party or other gathering. Easy to fill using a growler filler, easy to cap.

But I'm looking for a smaller format which also has the growler screw-top type of seal. I want this so I can bring small samples for others to test, and they certainly would be easier than having to use a standard crown to cap them. Fill 'em, screw on the cap, and go!

Anyone have a source for something like this? There are 16-oz growlers out there, but I'd prefer something a bit smaller.

I did find these, which are 8-oz, though not clear if they are useable for beer under pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Bottles-Perfect-Essential-Blends/dp/B00R3E8QU2/ref=sr_1_9_sspa?keywords=12+ounce+screw+cap+amber+bottle&qid=1551829388&s=industrial&sr=8-9-spons&th=1
whats wrong with just a capped 12 oz bottle or 16 oz flip tops?

...bringing several brews to a party or other gathering.... looking for a smaller format....

I don't remember who gave them to me, but I have three of these 16oz that I use for the purposes you describe. They're great.

IMG_20190306_082944_190.jpg

...Anyone have a source for something like this? There are 16-oz growlers out there, but I'd prefer something a bit smaller...

Here's some 11oz swing tops.

On Amazon search for "swing top amber" to see several options.

whats wrong with just a capped 12 oz bottle or 16 oz flip tops?

I do various things where I want to give a sample to someone, and using a very large bottle (say, 16-ounce) either leaves too much headspace or I need too much beer to fill it.

I've had a lot of success with the 32-oz growler format, easy to fill, very easy to cap, no fiddling w/ a capper and cap. I was looking for something similar in an 8-to-12 ounce format.

I've never used the Grolsch-style bottles, though it's starting to look like that may be the best option. I clean my beer bottles in the dishwasher (after a triple-rinse), not sure how the Grolsch bottles would respond to that.

I do various things where I want to give a sample to someone, and using a very large bottle (say, 16-ounce) either leaves too much headspace or I need too much beer to fill it.

I've had a lot of success with the 32-oz growler format, easy to fill, very easy to cap, no fiddling w/ a capper and cap. I was looking for something similar in an 8-to-12 ounce format.

I've never used the Grolsch-style bottles, though it's starting to look like that may be the best option. I clean my beer bottles in the dishwasher (after a triple-rinse), not sure how the Grolsch bottles would respond to that.
they do just fine actually. I keep a few around for various reasons. One for when you can tell theres less than 2 bottles worth in the bucket but more than 1. put it in a Grolsch bottle. #2 reason is when I save my spiess . I can see where the sediment is as I pour it. They are handy and the flippy seal is very multiple use material.

... I clean my beer bottles in the dishwasher (after a triple-rinse), not sure how the Grolsch bottles would respond to that.

I don't think you'll have any problems with running them through a dishwasher. If you are concerned that the gaskets will get damaged by the heated drying cycle just remove the gaskets from the bottle lids.

I agree with your other comments that sometimes a 16oz bottle is too much. I may order some of those 11oz swing tops myself.

These are resealable, and if they get damaged or lost at a party, no big loss.

001820021979.jpg

Difficulty: You'll have to take one for the team and drink a few Buds to empty them first. Or pour it down the drain. ;)

At least there wouldn't be any residual corn syrup in there. :)

This is such a good solution to so many problems, makes me wonder why this kind of thing--without the label, of course--isn't available online somewhere. Cans--or aluminum bottles--are such a good solution for so many possible uses (camping trip, canoeing, party where you don't need to recover the containers) that you'd think there was a market for them.

If one uses cans--@Morrey has a canner, perhaps he can weigh in--IIRC the cost of the can and lid is between 25 and 50 cents.

Of course, I could always just buy some Buds and empty and reuse them.....what am I thinking???????

Max, if you want some empty Bud bottles, you buy em' I'll make the trip to Minn. and drink them for you. You'll have to take me walleye fishing though. Personally I'd get some Grolsch type bottles, they are handy.

Grolsch bottles rule. I thought they were 16 plus oz? The labels are long gone.

Back